Professor Konrad Richter
State Exam 1991 Martin Luther; Spec (Surg) 2001 2001 Germany
Southern Cross Central Lakes Hospital - General Surgery
Southern Cross Invercargill Hospital - General Surgery
Southern Cross Invercargill Hospital - Endoscopy
Full NZ Registration Date
03 Jul, 2009
Special Clinical Interest(s)
- General and specialized laparoscopic and open surgery
- Laparoscopic and open upper gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery
- Laparoscopic and open hernia surgery
- Endocrine surgery - thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal
- Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery (NISSEN Fundoplication)
- Melanoma surgery and skin lesions
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM)
- Diagnostic and therapeutic upper endoscopy and colonoscopy
After finishing Medical School in 1991, Konrad received his intensive surgical and academic training at the St. Elisabeth Hospital and the University Martin-Luther in Halle as well as the University Friedrich-Schiller in Jena, Germany, and at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, USA.
From 1994 to 1997, he completed his Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Arkansas Cancer Research Centre, USA, and passed his American Medical Exams USMLE 1 and 2. He passed his Specialist Examination as General Surgeon in 2001, and both his Subspecialty Examination in Colorectal, Upper GI and Endocrine Surgery as well as his European Board of Surgery Qualification in Surgical Oncology in 2004. In 2002, he received his PhD (German Habilitation, Privatdozent). From 1998 until 2007 he worked at the University Friedrich-Schiller in Jena as a senior surgeon and clinical lecturer.
Since 2007, Konrad has been working as Consultant General Surgeon and Surgical Oncologist at Southland Hospital, Invercargill, and Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Otago. In 2011, he became Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS), in 2012 Associate Dean Southland of the Dunedin School of Medicine, and in 2015 he was promoted to Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Otago.
In addition to his public work at Southland Hospital and his work as Associate Dean Southland and Clinical Associate Professor of the Dunedin School of Medicine, Konrad has a busy clinical practice at Southern Cross Hospital in Invercargill (General Surgery South Ltd).
He is married with four children and in his spare time is a passionate diver and dive instructor, hunter and fly fisherman. He volunteers as a ship's doctor on expeditions to the Russian Arctic, Pacific and the Antarctic, and he enjoys playing classical guitar and chess as well as reading and history.
Post Fellowship Training
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Full member of the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ)
- Clinical Associate Professor and Senior Lecturer at the Dunedin School of Medicine (DSM)
- Associate Dean, Southland