Dr Brett Rogers
MB ChB 1977 Otago; FRACS 1987; FRANZCO 1988
Southern Cross Central Lakes Hospital - Ophthalmology
Southern Cross Invercargill Hospital - Ophthalmology (Eye Surgery)
Full NZ Registration Date
24 Nov, 1978
Dr Brett Rogers - Specialist Cataract Surgeon
Physical address56 Victoria Avenue, Avenal, Invercargill
Special Clinical Interest(s)
- Cataract Surgery including 'refractive cataract surgery' with correction of astigmatism
- Laser treatment of posterior capsular thickening (known sometimes as 'secondary cataract')
- Brett has performed over ten thousand (10,000) cataract operations on Southland, Queenstown/Lakes District, Central Otago and Otago patients, over more than twenty years.
- He operates exclusively on cataracts at Southern Cross Hospital in both Invercargill and in Queenstown.
- He also performs various YAG Laser Eye Surgery procedures at his private consulting rooms in Invercargill & Queenstown.
- Brett obtained his MBChB Medical Degree at the University of Otago in Dunedin.
- He undertook his Eye Specialist training at Auckland Hospital.
- Brett is a Fellow of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- He is also a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS).
- After working as an Eye Specialist at Southland Hospital for many years, treating a wide range of eye conditions and performing thousands of operations for cataracts, eyelid disorders, glaucoma, squint, and many other eye conditions, Brett now works in a full-time capacity at his private "SOUTHERN CATARACT SURGEONS" clinics, in both Invercargill and Queenstown, and at Southern Cross Hospitals in each centre, specialising in Cataract Surgery.
- Most of Brett's Southland & South Otago patients see him and have cataract surgery in Invercargill.
- For his Queenstown, Arrowtown, Wanaka and his Central Otago patients from Alexandra, Cromwell & Clyde areas, Brett has private rooms with fully-equipped Cataract Clinics in Queenstown, providing full cataract assessment, including all preoperative IOL calculations and all cataract post-operative follow-up visits, and with cataract surgery now performed in Queenstown
- Brett’s passion & special expertise has always been cataract surgery. He is extremely experienced, has an extremely high success rate and particularly enjoys seeing the huge and rapid improvement that cataract surgery can make to his patients’ vision and quality of life.
- Brett has now had thirteen years' experience using astigmatism-correcting intraocular-lenses (toric intraocular-lenses), implanting well over 1,300 such lenses. These ‘premium’ lenses can give even better vision following cataract surgery than regular lenses and significantly reduce or eliminate the need to wear spectacles. Brett encourages this option of astigmatism-correcting (toric) lenses in well over 50% of his cataract patients.
- He also encourages 'blended vision' as an excellent option for most 2nd-eye cataract patients, to vastly reduce dependence on spectacles for closer-up vision following cataract surgery, as well as having excellent distance vision without spectacles.
- That option can include standard or premium intraocular lenses such as 'extended-depth-of-focus' (EDOF) IOLS, in suitable patients.
- To obtain ideal cataract-surgery outcomes (excellent vision without spectacle dependence) requires not only vast cataract surgery experience & exceptional surgical skills, but also the very best, state-of-the-art diagnostic & surgical equipment for both the preoperative assessment & intraocular lens-power calculations, and for performing the operation itself.
- Brett was the first, and is the only cataract surgeon in Southland/Otago to use Cataract (OCT) Optical Coherence Tomography Laser Scanning Biometry for cataract assessment. This equipment provides the most accurate and precise intraocular lens (IOL) calculations possible, to help ensure the very best cataract surgery refractive outcomes and excellent postoperative vision.
- Using this, the world’s first Cataract Biometer able to measure the optical power of the inner surface of the cornea as well as that of the outer surface, allows significantly higher precision and accuracy for the intraocular lens calculations.
- Brett was the first Cataract Surgeon in New Zealand to offer this option, which is particularly important for patients requiring astigmatism-correcting lenses and for patients who have had previous Lasik eye surgery.
Post Fellowship Training
- Fellow of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (F.R.A.N.Z.C.O)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (F.R.A.C.S)
- Member of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the Asia-Pacific Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- International Member of the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- International Member of the American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons